Friday, May 2, 2008

Tutor or Participant?


I have noticed that there has been a change in the way in which I am posting on this course. I am not sure whether this is because I am consciously trying to be an equal participant learner more than a tutor, or whether it's the nature of the subject (i.e. reflective learning) that has brought about this change.

So what is the change? If I read back through my own posts it is evident that I am making far less use of questionning than I would normally do when facilitating an online course. My normal style is to be reserved about offering opinion and instead to ask lots of questions in an attemtpt to include, value and draw out participant opinion.

On this course I feel that I have offered more opinion than I would normally and have done far less questioning. I think if this was a face-to-face course I could ask questions in such a way that it would be obvious that I was asking them because I am interested and not because I am a tutor. Online, it's difficult to know how you are perceived. If I could be sure that I was regarded as an equal participant as well as a tutor (given that this is what I am exploring on this course), then I would be more likely to ask more questions.

So by trying to be an equal participant learner am I short-changing course participants in terms of their expectations of a tutor and of their learning?

Source of Image: http://www.corp.com/QuestionMarks.jpg

No comments: