Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Six degrees of separation


The course has started today and in the first few posts I am reminded by the 'six degrees of separation' activity that I first did on the Foundations of Communities of Practice Workshop with Etienne Wenger. The idea is that each of us is connected to any other person on the planet through just five other people. This is quite a well known activity now - but I can remember clearly the first time I tried it on Etienne's international workshop. It was amazing how relatively easy it was to find conceptual or social connections with five other people to lead to the person with whom we had been paired up.

On this course I can already see this in action - connections with people I don't know. It's what makes online courses so interesting - the fact that we can make these connections with people we will probably never meet.

Source of image: http://dahni.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/6degrees.png?w=400&h=350

No comments: