Thursday, May 6, 2010

Where do I fit?

Should I make posts alongside the participants or not? I don't think I ever run an online course without this cropping up. I know what the problems might be - it can intimidate people, or participants can think that what I do is what's expected - whereas in reality I am hoping for as many alternative perspectives as possible. There has been plenty of research to show that an overactive online tutor can be inhibiting. However, I really don't see myself as the kind of teacher/tutor depicted in this image of Doris Day at the blackboard - and haven't done for years.

I much prefer this kind of image
but I sometimes wonder if it's too idealistic
- it could be interpreted as abdicating responsibility and it also assumes that participants share an understanding of this sort of relationship between tutor and learner. 

There must be a middle line somewhere but it's not always easy to achieve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny,

maybe some participants will tell us ...