Thursday, May 6, 2010

Week 1 Reflective Journal entry


One of the questions that has been asked in the Journals forum this week is:


What has helped you to come to an understanding of the role of reflection in learning? (this might be something you've read, a conversation you've had. It might have happened this week or many years previously).

Like many others on this course, I first had to consider this when building it into a course for trainee teachers - that was when I realised that I didn't know enough about it and decided to participate in the first run of this course to learn more.

However, what I have learned is that it is one thing to know something in theory, it is quite another to apply it in practice. I find the process difficult for myself. I think and reflect a lot about my own practice, but sometimes I think I am doing little more than evaluating. I find it difficult to dig deeper and follow things through. Some things I simply don't want to follow through - its much more comfortable to let them pass - maybe I miss real learning opportunities in doing this. Also - I am a 'busy' person, i.e. busy in nature, so no sooner has one thing happened than I am on to the next. I think and reflect a lot, but I don't 'mark' my reflection enough.

So sometimes I think my understanding of the role of reflection in learning has not developed very much, but I think I can recognise it when I see it.
Source of image: http://www.infed.org/images/illustrations/coffee_journal_mills1983-flickr_attrib_noderivs.jpg

No comments: