Saturday, April 12, 2008

Self-censorship

Well, it's happening already. I find myself being very careful about what I am writing in this public blog and editing my writing quite a bit.

Why am I doing this? I think these are the reasons and I might come back later and add to them.
  • Despite all my feelings that ideally a tutor is a learner alongside his/her students, this is not necessarily how the tutor is perceived by the student.
  • As a tutor I have a responsibility for learners' learning and therefore I need to ensure that this learning isn't knowingly jeopardised in any way by my actions.
  • It takes time to build mutual trust and respect between learners be they tutors or students. During this time a cautious approach to the relationship is probably advisable.

But if as a tutor I am finding and may continue to find that I need to be cautious about my reflections in this blog, then how might students feel when they are asked to produce reflective journals as part of their course?

Source of image: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2102981584_aa81e7ab23.jpg

No comments: