Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Too busy


The overwhelming feeling today ( and I note that word 'feeling', i.e. this is an emotional response) is that I have been too busy.

I have discussed this with John (for anyone reading this blog, John is my husband of 40 years - so if anyone knows how I tick, then he does!). His perspective in discussing how to keep a balance between activity and reflection, is that I am always active/busy, whereas he spends a lot of time doing little (his words and certainly not my perspective).

What I do know is that he can 'switch off' - right off and always has been able to - but I cannot. Once started on a project it is always there in the back of my mind and more frequently at the front of my mind - so a lot of discussions at home at the moment are about reflective learning.

This not being able to switch off means that at the very times when I am most engaged, most interested, most wanting to reflect and learn, I am also at my busiest, which makes it difficult to find space for reflection.

John thinks that you can always find space for reflection if you want to. This comment makes me wonder if we need to be good time managers to be good at reflective learning or whether it's more of an innate ability. Whatever it is, for me there is always a tension between reflection and activity and I think this maybe the case for many students, which may also be domain related - but I'll need to think more about that.

Source of Image: http://www.gapingvoid.com/too%20busy.jpg

No comments: