Thursday, April 3, 2008

Why this blog?

I am setting up this blog with a little hesitation. I have kept a few blogs before. I have written travel blogs for my family and friends, I have an ongoing personal, private diary blog, I have a blog that I am writing to accompany a research project and I have in the past kept a blog as a reflective journal to accompany a course - as is recommended on this reflective learning course - but I was a student, not a tutor on that particular course.

I have not before kept a blog to share with students on a course on which I am a tutor. So this is very much an experiment.

I always consider myself to be a learner on the courses on which I teach, but there is a tension between participating as a student and participating as a tutor/facilitator on a course. By openly sharing this blog with all course participants I hope to be able to 'unpick' this tension a little and reflect further on my role as an online tutor. I think there will also be other tensions that will become apparent as the course progresses. I am looking forward to the start of the course and being able to explore these further.

No comments: